About the Rhode Island Association of Fire Chiefs
The Rhode Island Association of Fire Chiefs is a professional organization dedicated to improving efficiency, preparedness and emergency response time, to educating the public about fire safety and providing a support system for Rhode Island fire chiefs, firefighters and emergency medical technicians in times of crisis.
The purpose of this organization is to further the professional advancement of the fire service; to insure and maintain greater protection of life and property from fire, natural or man-made disaster; to promote and maintain a close bond of friendship and understanding among Chiefs and other approved members of fire departments, vendors and other members associated with this organization; to promote policy; to provide a medium for exchange of information and ideas between Fire Chiefs, and to advocate or oppose legislation effecting the fire service. To accomplish this purpose the Association shall:
- To provide for the assembly of chief officers to discuss ways and means for the betterment of the fire service and assist chief officers in maintaining high standards of personal and departmental efficiency through the study and application of modern methods of fire department administration, fire fighting techniques, fire prevention, emergency medical services, and hazardous material mitigation.
- To cooperate with governmental and non-governmental agencies to develop and implement effective emergency management plans to enable all fire departments to best serve their local communities.
- To cooperate with all allied and interested organizations to promote programs that furthers the goals and objectives of the fire service; To conduct research, analysis and studies of critical issues and problems that are, or could, affect the fire and EMS services at the local, state or federal level and to develop ideas and action plans to enhance and strengthen all the diverse missions of the fire service.
- To encourage and develop public education in fire prevention for the preservation of human life and protection of property and material resources from destruction by fire.
- To monitor, propose, and advocate for or defend against legislation at all levels of government to assure the best interests of the majority of member fire and EMS services are served and that such legislation will better enable the saving of lives and protection of property.
- To expand present facilities for fire department training and to sponsor higher education for officer personnel in technical branches and specialties of the fire service.
- To promote programs for fire fighter’s health and safety that creates a work environment that reduces the risk to members of the fire service.
- To serve as a recognized organization in Rhode Island for the collection and exchange of ideas, information, knowledge and experience in Fire and EMS activities through effective networking and information sharing; Provide leadership and communication that will further the advancement of the career, combination and volunteer fire and EMS services throughout the state of Rhode Island.
- To support and encourage fire service participation in the delivery of pre-hospital emergency care and medical services at various proficiency levels to relieve human suffering and trauma.
If at any time the Association shall cease to carry out the purpose as herein stated, all assets and property held by it, whether in trust or otherwise, shall, after payment of its liabilities, be paid over to an organization, selected by a majority of the Board of Directors of the Association, which has similar purposes and has established its tax exempt status under section 501c (3) of the Internal Revenue Service code of 1934 as now enacted, or as may hereafter be amended, and such assets and property shall be applied exclusively for such charitable, scientific and education programs.